Our society relies very heavily on prepackaged foods. As a result, our preservative, sugar, sodium, and genetically modified ingredient intake is high. Today’s journal prompt piggybacks on yesterday’s goals of increasing fresh food intake. Spend a few moments today looking at how much of your daily food intake includes prepackaged foods. How do you feel about the fresh vs. processed balance in your own life? Write about it. What could you do differently?
Choose one or more ideas from the list below to start decreasing your processed food intake today:
- Commit to buying less prepackaged foods
- Commit to buying more fresh fruits, vegetables, meats, etc.
- Commit to buying more “whole food” snacks like nuts, veggies, fresh fruits, etc.
- Make your own homemade version of packaged foods (pasta sauce, salsa, guacamole, soup, etc.)
- Figure out what a balanced diet looks like for your family when it comes to fresh vs. packaged foods
- Buy more frozen whole foods to pull out when needed
- Replace boxed breakfasts with quick protein packed ones (like eggs or protein smoothies made with whole frozen fruits)
- Commit to cooking at least one or two homemade meals per week that don’t include packaged food
- Or choose your own!